Learn about building resilient systems #
Collection of resources to learn about failures, and failure modes of software systems.
Blog Posts #
Blog Posts on failures, reliability, testing and other relevant topics
Chaos Engineering — Review Lineage Driven Failure Injection(LDFI)
Failure Modes and Continuous Resilience - Adrian cockcroft, also see this thread
Post Mortem - The Cloudflare Blog, list postmortems from cloudflare
How we’re building a production readiness review process at Grafana Labs
Talks on how systems fail, demo of systems, and other wisdom on how we can build better systems -
Debugging Under Fire: Keep your Head when Systems have Lost their Mind - Bryan Cantrill
Bryan Cantrill - Docker in Production: Tales From the Engine Room
Keynote: High Reliability Infrastructure Migrations - Julia Evans, Software Engineer, Stripe
Orchestrated Chaos: Applying Failure Testing Research at Scale
Orchestrating Chaos Applying Database Research in the Wild - Peter Alvaro
Testing Cloud-Native Databases with Chaos Mesh - Siddon Tang
The Hurricane’s Butterfly: Debugging Pathologically Performing Systems
Tools & Projects #
Tools and projects focused on failures, and failure modes of software systems.
Chaos Toolkit #
The Open Source Platform for Chaos Engineering
Chaos Monkey #
Chaos Monkey is a resiliency tool that helps applications tolerate random instance failures.
Learning from Incidents in Software #
Incidents are costly. Without spending time analyzing and determining the conditions that exist in order for an incident to take place, we won’t learn how to successfully remove nor recover from these conditions in the future.
Let’s help each other learn.
SNAFU catchers #
A consortium of industry leaders and researchers united in the common cause of understanding and coping with the immense levels of complexity involved in the operation of critical digital services.
Resilience engineering papers #
Contains notes about people active in resilience engineering, as well as some influential researchers who are no longer with us
Kubernetes Failure Stories #
A compiled list of links to public failure stories related to Kubernetes.
Chaos Mesh #
Chaos Mesh is a cloud-native Chaos Engineering platform that orchestrates chaos on Kubernetes environments.
Debugging stories - Dan Luu #
Collection of links to various debugging stories.
A List of Post-mortems! - Dan Luu #
A collection of postmortems.
Testing Distributed Systems #
Curated list of resources on testing distributed systems
k6 - A modern load testing tool #
Research on failures and how to test, build and operate reliable systems -
Gray failure: the Achilles’ heel of cloud-scale systems - the morning paper
Trade-offs under pressure: heuristics and observations of teams resolving internet service outages (Part I) - the morning paper
Trade-offs under pressure: heuristics and observations of teams resolving internet service outages (Part II) - the morning paper
Report from the SNAFU catchers Workshop on Coping With Complexity
Fault Isolation using Shuffule Sharding #
- AWS re:Invent 2018: How AWS Minimizes the Blast Radius of Failures (ARC338)
- Shuffle Sharding: Massive and Magical Fault Isolation
- Shuffle Sharding - Cortex
- Level 300: Fault Isolation with Shuffle Sharding
- Patterns for the Distributed Systems in Cloud — Part 1
- Uno, DDoS, Tres — The magic of Shuffle sharding
- Great thread from Colm MacCárthaigh, alt: thread reader
Real world failure stories and incident postmortems of widely used systems
- Kafkapocalypse: a postmortem on our service outage
- Stories from the Front: Lessons Learned from Supporting Apache Kafka
- How to Lose Messages on a Kafka Cluster - Part 1
- Compilation of public failure/horror stories related to Kubernetes
- 10 Ways to Shoot Yourself in the Foot with Kubernetes, #9 Will Surprise You - Laurent Bernaille
- Kubernetes pods /etc/resolv.conf ndots:5 option and why it may negatively affect your application performances, also see DNS Lookups in Kubernetes